1928 Volvo Truck
Stephen and Sam's (and Alex's!)
2003 Cross Country Trip
1937 Volvo Truck
Reports and Sightings:
- 5/17/03 - They're off! Despite a delayed start, Stephen and Sam left Acton, MA towards New Paltz, NY (Heather's
- 5/18/03 - In New Paltz, NY, rumored to be heading south to Virginia on May 19th. Uncle Tom hopes to see Stephen
and Sam in NYC, but when you've got places to go...
- 5/19/03 - Unconfirmed Report: Sam locked out of Heather's house ... Stephen reported snoring ... please remember
that this is only an unconfirmed report ...
- 5/19/03 - Reports of Sam being locked out are now confirmed ... Stephen and Sam drove south to Emma's house
in Roanoke, VA, 560 miles, 10 hours, everything A-OK.
- 5/20/03 - Stephen and Sam visited Jefferson National Forest
near Roanoke, VA, with their most gracious host Emma. Tomorrow our young adventurers plan on heading to Mammoth
Caves, KY. The Big Decision is coming --- do they take US 40 through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona or US 70 through
Kansas and Colorado? We'll find out when you do!
- 5/21/03 - Camping in the caves? No - in a campsite on the Mammoth Caves National Park! Today was spent driving,
driving, driving.... Arrived at the campsite around 6 PM to enjoy a home-cooked meal of Annies and hot-dogs! (his
mother is sooo proud!) Looks like its going to be the Southern Route for the boys. Plans for tomorrow include a
trip through Mammoth Caves in the morning and then they plan to drive southwest on US 40 to the Hot
Springs National Park.
- 5/22/03 - Our young adventurers awoke today at 7:00 AM ... but (as luck would have it) Mammoth Caves didn't
open until 11:00 AM ... so (keeping their priorities straight) it was off to drive across Arkansas and Oklahoma
instead of exploring one of the world's greatest caves! Stephen called from a pay phone 40 miles east of the Oklahoma/Arkansas
state line and they plan to spend the night in Arrowhead State Park
in Oklahoma. Even Hot Springs was bypassed on the journey west.
- 5/23/03 - Plans are made just to be broken. Stephen and Sam called from Santa Rosa, NM, east of Albuquerque
on US 40,and plan to stop for the night in Villaneuva
State Park. Last night they ended up staying at Fountainhead
State Park in Checotah, Oklahoma. No definite plans for tomorrow except, "Go West young man, go West!"
- 5/24/03 - WalMart ... you either love it or hate it. Stephen's ATM card got locked out when the WalMart ATM
near Santa Fe, NM would only take 4 characters for the PIN. Do this three times and ... well you know what happens
... no ATM card for 24 hours! Our young travelers called us at the Hotel Belvedere in NYC and reported their latest
news. The plan is to head north to San Juan, CO, near Durango, for the night. We thought of them as we gazed at
the Canyons of Manhattan ... but NYC is certainly not as scenic nor beautiful as New Mexico or Colorado. (Pauline
denies that any scene in NYC could be called a canyon ... not even Times Square.) Alex wishes he were with them,
maybe an invitation for the trip back?
- 5/25/03 - "Awesome!" That how Sam described Mesa Verde. Stephen and Sam slept a little late on Sunday
and then spent the day at Mesa Verde National Park. Tonight they were headed
back for a second night of camping at the San Juan National Forest after
a big dinner at Applebee's (obviously the debit card is working again). Plans for tomorrow were still sketchy,
but the boys hope to head southward to US 40 and then across New Mexico and Arizona towards California.
- 5/26/03 - Stephen called on US 40 south of Las Vegas, Nevada on the trip westward. Over 600 miles so far today!
The goal for tonight was camping in or near Death Valley.
San Francisco tomorrow? California Here They Come!
- 5/27/03 - After 400 miles of driving, our young travelers reported in from Monterey, CA. The weather was reported
to be perfect (of course) and this was Sam's first view of the Pacific Ocean. Sam did all the driving today north
on California Highway 1. They hope to make it to Santa Clara tonight and stay at Elizabeth's place. Coast to coast
in only 9 days!
- 5/28/03 - The boys made it safely to Santa Clara and visited with Liz. The plans were sketchy, but included
visiting San Francisco and the sites. Alex has his bags all packed and is heading on a an America West flight to
San Jose via Phoenix.
- 5/29/03 - Alex flew out to California today and joined Stephen and Sam in San Jose, CA. The boys met up with
Stephen's friend Liz and her boyfriend for a dinner of Thai noodles and then were reported seeking a camping
spot near Santa Cruz to rest their weary heads. The plan for tomorrow is to say "Adios!" to California
and start the journey eastward through Utah.
- 5/30/03 - Stephen and Alex called at 5:50 PDT 30 miles west of Reno, NV on US 80, in the Tahoe National Forest.
Alex reported that weather was warm, sunny, and in the 80's --- very nice. Last night they stayed at a campground
somewhere south of Santa Cruz and tonight they hope to camp somewhere east of Reno. Stephen reported that they
were having Annie's Mac and Cheese again tonight. Yummmm! The boys might stop in Reno tonight to check out the
nightlife ... too young for gambling, but it'll be interesting to hear Alex's observations.
- 5/31/03 - The boys called from somewhere in Utah, near the salt flats. They ended up camping Friday night in
California rather than Nevada. Alex reported that they drove by some casinos in western Nevada, but there's no
time to stop. Today they plan on driving all the way to Jackson, Wyoming (a very noble goal). Sam is having severe
stomach troubles (so bad that they considered a stop at a local hospital for relief) ... could it be Stephen's
fine camp cooking? Alex is having a great time with his older brother ... perhaps they'll take Ian next time? Let's
hope Sam feels better ... perhaps a buffalo burger or two in Wyoming will help.
- 6/1/03 - Stephen, Alex, and Sam drove 880 miles all the way from Lake Tahoe, CA to the Grand
Teton National Park in Wyoming ... a very long 15 hours of driving! The weather is much cooler than California,
in the 40's and 50's and very cool tonight (Alex is wearing his sweater). They slept in a bit today after the long
drive and hiked in the Tetons up towards Amphitheater Lake. Alex reported that the trail was covered in snow. Sam
is feeling much better and dinner tonight was "Pasta in a Bag" (I only report the stories, not create
them). They also took a short drive into Yellowstone National Park and plan
to drive to Badlands National Park in South Dakota tomorrow.
- 6/2/03 - Stephen called at 7:30 MDT in from a small convenience store in Dayton, WY, along Route 14. The boys
spent the day driving north from Grand Teton National Park and then through Yellowstone. Alex reported that it
was cold the night before and that Sam didn't get much sleep due to a running nose and a developing cold. From
the store the Bighorn Mountains rose around the town with clear skies. They still had not finalized their dinner
plans, but something cooked along side US 90 as they traveled eastward towards South Dakota seemed in order (not
road kill we hope). They still had over 200 miles of highway driving ahead of them tonight, Alex promising to stay
awake with Stephen as they rambled along.
- 6/3/03 - The boys called from somewhere in Minnesota after another long day of driving. They did not stop and
visit the world's largest ball of twine in
Darwin, MN. They did eat another roadside lunch of PBJ's. Sam is reported on the mend after not visiting Mount
Rushmore in Keystone, SD. Last night the boys drove until early in the morning (Alex stayed awake discussing
the Meaning of Life with Stephen) to Badlands National Park. Tonight they hope to continue on US 90 and camp somewhere
in eastern Minnesota near the Mississippi River. Another gourmet meal of Annie's Mac and Cheese is planned. Believe
it or not, they hope to drive all the way from Minnesota, across Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana, and then spend
the night in Wooster, Ohio tomorrow.
- 6/4/03 - No calls to a slightly nervous father today! But we can only guess that the boys had another very
busy day today not visiting places on the drive towards the Atlantic Ocean. They did not visit the famous
breweries of Milwaukee or Chicago's Sear's Tower but drove
east towards the Ohio Valley. their goal was Wooster College where Sam goes
- 6/5/03 - Stephen called (finally) from Heather's house in New Paltz, NY. Another long day of driving (Alex
says too much), but they arrived in time to take Heather out to dinner at Bachus. Here folks are being tolerant
and most gracious hosts to the tired travelers. Tomorrow the plan is to leave around Noon and head east on US
84, pick up the Mass Pike, and home to Acton in time for dinner. Stephen told a long and scary story about trying
to find a place to camp in Wisconsin, something about deer on the road, heavy fog, 666 appearing on the odometer,
mysterious lights, etc. We'll have to find out more when everyone's safe and sound at home.
- 6/6/03 - Back in Acton, Massachusetts???
Return to "The MacLellans" Home Page